Tuesday 19 December 2017

Top Ten Tuesday | Santa Claus is Coming to Town (With Books)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is 'Top Ten Books I Hope Santa Brings'! To be honest I'm not really sure what I want for Christmas this year, although there'll always be books I'd like to get my hands on, so this week I've mentioned some of the books I've included on a wishlist for my bookish secret santa as well as a couple of books I hinted at my parents that I wouldn't mind owning. Whatever I get this year, though, I know I'm going to love it!

And as this is the last TTT before Christmas - MERRY CHRISTMAS! I hope you all have a wonderful day, whether you celebrate Christmas or not, and, if you do, I hope Father Christmas brings you everything you wish for.


Prudence by Gail Carriger: I own all of the Parasol Protectorate books, with only Heartless and Timeless left to go, so it'd be nice to have the first book in the follow-up series to hand.

New World Fairy Tales by Cassandra Parkin: I love short story collections based on fairy tales, so I definitely wouldn't complain if I found this book under my tree.

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor: All I've read of Okorafor's so far are her Binti books, but Akata Witch has intrigued me for a long while. It's the first book in a duology (I think?) and recently had a makeover with this stunning cover.

The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu: I haven't read any Asian-inspired high fantasy and that's something I'd like to change, especially as I've heard great things about Ken Liu's work.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azakaban by J. K. Rowling, illustrated by Jim Kay: I've been collecting these illustrated editions, they're beautiful, and I think this one in particular will be gorgeous - I can't wait to see Jim Kay's versions of Lupin and Sirius!


Pages for You by Sylvia Brownrigg: I've heard lots of very good things about this one, so I certainly wouldn't be disappointed to get a copy this year.

Elizabeth of York: The First Tudor Queen by Alison Weir: I've always been fascinated by Elizabeth of York but I feel like she gets forgotten quite a lot. Whenever I come across a history documentary featuring Alison Weir I'm always interested in what she has to say, so this book is the perfect pairing of two lovely things.

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen: This year is the year I discovered I like Jane Austen and Mansfield Park is the novel I know the least about, so I'm very interested in checking it out.

Unicorns: The Myths, Legends, & Lore by Skye Alexander: This book's about unicorns. What else needs to be said?

The Stuart Princesses by Alison Plowden: I read Plowden's Women All On Fire: The Women of the English Civil War recently and enjoyed it, and it's made me want to learn more about the women of the Stuart era. I know very little about the Stuart royal family so I think this will be the perfect book to widen my knowledge.

Which books made your list this week?

17 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read Mansfield Park for the longest time. Hope Santa brings you all these books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only Austen book I've read it Sense & Sensibility. But I do really enjoy the adaptations BBC and/or ITV puts out. Someday I'd like to try reading more of her books. Also, I hear amazing things about Gail's book. I've started to collect her "Finishing School" books, so hopefully, this is another series I start. Soon-ish. :)

    Hope some of these find their way to your house next week - and thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reread Persuasion this year and really enjoyed it, so I recommend reading that or Northanger Abbey!

      Delete
  3. I got the first illustrated Harry Potter book for my sister's family this year. They really are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're beautiful, aren't they? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan, but I will admit that the illustrated editions are gorgeous 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to try so many of these, especially Prudence. First, though, I should probably finish the Parasol Protectorate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea there were newly illustrated versions of the Harry Potter books! My soon-to-be 18 year old would love these.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The illustrated HP edition is everything. I too want to own it. I forgot to add it to my list :P
    I hope you get the books on your wishlist :)
    My TTT: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2017/12/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-hope-santa-brings/

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Carriger books look fun, and so does The Grace of Kings. I've heard good things about Alison Weir so that book catches my interest as well. And Unicorns- I do think it would be fun to have a book that pulls together all the myths and legends about them. Not sure if that is what this book is, but that would be awesome. Hope Santa treats you right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see SO MANY beautiful things on this list! I would honestly die to get any of these for Christmas! I didn't even know the author of Akata Witch was also the author of Binti. HOW DID I MISS THAT?? I was about to get Akata when I went to the bookstore, but I already had a ton of books, so I put it back and sacrificed it **cries**. Now evrybody is talking about it and I am so excited about it!!!

    My TTT: https://bookslikewolves.wixsite.com/blog/single-post/2017/12/19/Blogmas-19-Books-I-Want-My-Future-Children-To-Read

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of Gail Carriger's books! Prudence is lots of fun -- and check out the Finishing School books too! I just picked up a copy of Akata Witch a few weeks ago, and really look forward to reading it. (Loved the Binti books - can't wait for #3). This looks like an amazing list -- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love Santa to bring Illustrated Harry Potters. They’re so pretty. I hope you get all these!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Merry Christmas to you, too, if you celebrate it. I hope you get to read all these books. Thanks for sharing your great list. 😁❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh I would love one of the HP illustrated editions!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/19/top-ten-tuesday-138/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a good list! I adored Nnedi Okorafor's Binti so I'm sure anything else she writes will be amazing.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete