Tuesday 31 January 2017

Top Ten Tuesday | Comic Comic Comic Comic Comic Chameleon


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week you compile a list of ten books which coincide with that week's theme. You can find everything you need to know about joining in here!


This week's theme is 'All about the visuals', so I'm going to share with you the graphic novels that are on my TBR!


The Encyclopedia of Early Earth by Isabel Greenberg: I read Greenberg's The One Hundred Nights of Hero (reviewed here) and really enjoyed it, so I'm interested in checking out more of her work.

Ladycastle by Delilah Dawson and Ashley Woods: This is a retelling of the Arthurian legends with women at the centre. Yes please.

This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki: I read the Tamakis' other graphic novel, Skim, a couple of years ago and loved it, so I'd like to check out this one too.

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler, John Jennings and Damian Duffy: I'm fascinated to see how this story has been adapted into a graphic format, and even though it's harrowing I'm totally drawn in by that cover.

Blue is the Warmest Color by Julie Maroh: Despite only being a few years old this feels like one of those classics I should have read by now. It really doesn't seem right to me to leave out that extra 'u' though...


Fun Home and Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel: I haven't read any Alison Bechdel yet and that's something I need to change, especially as she's the creator of the Bechdel Test. Fun Home is something of a classic, but I really like the sound of Are You My Mother? too.

Baba Yaga's Assistant by Marika McCoola and Emily Carroll: This looks so fun, and I feel like I haven't actually read many stories featuring Baba Yaga. I liked Emily Carroll's Through the Woods a lot, so I'd like to see more of her illustrations and I love the colours on the cover.

Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton: How have I not read this yet? I love Beaton's Step Aside, Pops so I need to read this one, too.

The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil by Stephen Collins: I've yet to hear a bad thing about this graphic novel. It's just so huge (the book that is, not the beard).

Which books made your list this week?

20 comments:

  1. I need to read more graphic novels! This One Summer has me intrigued. I'm going to check it out. Great list!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun Home and This One Summer were both dark reads.

    Here's my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard they're both fairly dark, but I don't mind that when I'm in the mood for it. =)

      Delete
  3. I found four more graphic novels on your list to add to my TBR. I'm really curious about The Gigantic Bird and Are You My Mother? as well as Lady Castle and This One Summer. I have not heard of any of these until now. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Baba Yaga's Assistant last year and it was a lot of fun. You should definitely try to find a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you enjoyed it - I might see if I can track it down in my local library. =)

      Delete
  5. I'm really interested to see the Kindred graphic novel adaptation. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it's quite a harrowing story to adapt, but I'm really intrigued by how they've done it. =)

      Delete
  6. These are all new to me but I definitely want to read more Graphic Novels so I'll be looking these up^^ Thanks for putting them on my radar :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This One Summer was a wonderful read. I got all emotional reading it and that NEVER happens to me. Sad to say thats the only one on your list that I've read but I do have everything else on my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, sounds like it's a good one to check out then! I've heard quite mixed things about it but I really enjoyed Skim, so I'm hoping I'll like this one too.

      Delete
  8. I never read a comic book.So The only ones I read were the VA and Percy Jackson graphic novels. But we did something a little different. Allyson added some comics she read on her list.
    Also check out our easy to enter Valentine's giveaway!

    I never read a comic book.So The only ones I read were the VA and Percy Jackson graphic novels. But we did something a little different. Allyson added some comics she read on her list.
    Also check out our easy to enter Valentine's giveaway!

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I recommend checking out some other graphic novels if you're ever in the mood - there are some fantastic ones out there!

      Delete
  9. Wow, many new book titles for me to explore. Thanks for sharing them with your blog readers!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-eleven-coffee-table.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, thanks for checking out my post! =)

      Delete
  10. THIS ONE SUMMER is an excellent coming of age novel but I had to read it twice to really appreciate it and the nuance of its message.
    My TTT Graphic Novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This One Summer seems to be the one that's getting the biggest response, so I'll have to read that one first I think. =)

      Delete